[Dovecot] Recommendation for OCFS2 filesystem type

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Mon Oct 25 19:27:37 EEST 2010

Hello

When creating an OCFS2 filesystem, one can specify a "filesystem type"
option:

-T filesystem-type
       Specify how  the  filesystem  is  going  to  be  used,  so  that
       mkfs.ocfs2 can chose optimal filesystem parameters for that use.
       The supported filesystem types are:
             mail   Appropriate for file systems which  will  have  many
                    meta data updates. Creates a larger journal.

             datafiles
                    Appropriate for file systems which will host a rela‐
                    tively small number of very  large  files.  A  small
                    journal  is  selected. Cluster size will be at least
                    128K.

Considering I'm using a separate partition for the dovecot indices, and
that I'm using mdbox, would it be more appropriate to use 'datafiles'
for the mail location partition and 'mail' just for the indices? Or
would 'mail' be appropriate for both even with the larger files created
by mdbox?

Thanks,
Andre