[Dovecot] fallocate and glibc 2.10

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Sun Oct 24 17:45:07 EEST 2010

On 24/10/2010 15:10, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> A lot of code just to work around a bug that apparently only exists in
> Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 11. Is there a reason for anyone to be actually
> using either of them? I was thinking about just ignoring this problem.

I thought you were fixing bugs coming out of running Dovecot over BSDI
in order to make Dovecot *generally* more robust. (Well that was the
only explanation I could think of for adding support for a dead OS...)

I would imaging Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 11 to be, "much less dead" than BSDI.

You may find that hosting providers only have support for certain spot
versions of distros, and besides people may have reasons to stick with
the distro they are on.

So it may be worth just doing it, especially if the reporter has
supplied a patch!

Bill