[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.5 - multiple auth processes.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 20 17:35:48 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 16:11 +0200, Marek Miska wrote:

> On Dovecot 1.2.x it is possible to run multiple auth daemons.
> Is it possible on dovecot 2.0.x ?

Not really..

> Sample configuration for dovecot 1.2.8:
> auth default {
>    count = 10

Hmm. Did this really work? I remember there were at least some problems
with this .. possibly only when using auth-workers (i.e. with some
passdbs/userdbs, but not with e.g. ldap).

The main problem with the current method is that there's no direct
connection from imap/pop3 process to the correct auth process. It would
only randomly connect to correct auth process. But this could be solved
by creating some kind of a "auth proxy" process, which would simply
proxy the messages to correct auth process. There's no code for such
process yet.

> auth lda {
>    socket listen {
>      master {
>        path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>        mode = 0666
>      }
>    }
> }

This should be possible. Duplicate service auth {} to service auth-lda
{} or something and make only that one have the auth-master socket.