[Dovecot] CLient issues

Mon Oct 18 21:15:28 EEST 2010

On 2010-10-18 1:31 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:27:40PM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 2010-10-16 5:38 PM, The Doctor wrote:
>>> However some POP3 issues have popped up.
>>>
>>> 1) Outlook reate e-mail but not on Thunderbird.

>> What does 'reate' mean?

> I meant repeat.

More detail will be needed then...

You mean Outlook re-downloads the same message over and over and
Thunderbird doesn't? What version of Outlook? Is it possibl;e you've
encountered the notorious 2GB PST file bug?

I could say "don't use Outlook unless your in an Exchange environment
(its a crappy standalone email client, but yeah its Calendar is pretty
nice)", but I won't... ;)

>>> 2) AVG Proxy interferes with POP3.
>>>
>>> Any solutions?

>> Don't use AVG...

> Solutions, not non-solutions.

The suggestion to not use a crappy antivirus that has a crappy POP proxy
is not a non-solution. I stopped recommending AVG when it went crappy
back at about version 7.5...

Regardless, inline mail scanning (ie, using any AV's 'proxy' scanner) is
pretty much useless and all too often very problematic.

Just use a good AV and let its on-demand scanning do the job.

I always recommend Security Essentials (free) or NOD32 (paid) for AV...

--

Best regards,

Charles