[Dovecot] Version checks and API/ABI/sonames

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 18 17:19:15 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 09:22 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Could the checks become ABI-version aware, so that rebuilds and
> redistribution are kept to a minimum? Maybe Timo is already keeping
> API/ABI stability between minor updates, so the version checks should be
> against the first two version components only.

I keep APIs source compatible whenever possible, but ABIs haven't been
very stable in v2.0.x. So I would have had to bump the ABI version for
every release anyway. :)

But yeah, it would be nice at some point if this version check checked
for actual ABI versions. The bad thing about that is that then I'd have
to remember to update it whenever I actually change something..