[Dovecot] Dovecot chgrp actions on new files/folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 14 21:00:12 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 13:49 -0400, David Ford wrote:
> Timo,
>
> I did further study of the user/group permissions.  Applying the below
> patch will make no difference to virtually everyone out there.

No, it breaks it for people using shared mailboxes without sgid in the
directories. There is no documentation that even suggests using sgid, so
I think it could break a lot of installations.

> Those
> that have default uid/gid ownership won't see any change as the gid
> already matches so the fchown() action won't be attempted.  Those that
> have sgid will still see the normal expected fchown() enforced by the
> kernel which becomes a duplicated action by dovecot.

If there is sgid bit set, Dovecot doesn't do a duplicate fchown()
anymore but trusts that kernel already preserved it.

I don't see a way to change this behavior anymore without annoying a lot
of people.