[Dovecot] Pigeonhole feature request: automatically copy sieve_global_path (default script) to user's sieve_dir

Jerrale G jerralegayle at sheltoncomputers.com
Tue Oct 12 18:16:28 EEST 2010

  On 10/12/2010 2:55 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
> On 12.10.2010 06:47, Jerrale G wrote:
>> Maybe you could add a retain_sieve_global=yes|no setting OR be
>> more complex by having the sieve_global_dir copied to the users
>> sieve_dir on first managesieve script save, if another setting to do
>> this was set to yes. This way the administrators can create a skeleton
>> directory and the users can retain the default skeleton settings.
> sieve_before and/or sieve_after should be enough:
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Configuration
>
> Why do you need an extra setting?  I am not sure I follow.
>
>> This way the administrators can create a skeleton directory and the
>> users can retain the default skeleton settings.
> You can already do this in your user creation script.

sieve_before and sieve_after is close to what I'm referring to but it
allows one script to be specified, correct? I'm talking that, when a
user first logs into their imap, all scripts in the sieve_global_dir be
copied to the sieve_dir of the user so that they can see what filters
are automatically specified for them, like moving spam to the spam
folder, and choose to keep them or not. If us admins specify a
sieve_global_path, it is ignored when a user creates their own, through
the GUI we've given them. It would be nice for, when a user logs into
their managesieve the first time, an option to automatically copy either
the sieve_global_dir= scripts or the ONE sieve_global_path to the user's
own directory to exist. This way they can see what we specified for them
and they don't have to worry about " why aren't my spams  not going into
my spam folder anymore" after they create their first script.

We have a lot of users liking both you and Timo's programming, along
with other programmers of dovecot but they all ask the same question,
even when it is specified in the GUI "once you create your first filter,
our filters will not be in effect anymore and, to keep them in effect,
you must create them yourself". I know this should be facile if they are
able to create their first filter, as they know what they want.

Pigeonhole would be even nicer with a "skelton directory" specified to
copy a user's scripts from it, to their sieve_dir folder, on the user's
first login of managesieve.

Thanks for the reply,

Jerrale G.
SC Senior Admin