[Dovecot] ATTN: David Miller Re: Config review (2.0.5)

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon Oct 11 03:04:04 EEST 2010

  On 10/10/2010 2:57 PM, Jerrale G wrote:

>> I'm probably talking out of the wrong hole again - but have you tried
>> removing squat from your plugin list to see if it makes a difference?
> Daniel Miller,
>
> Please do not get all defensive when someone asks why they're having
> performance issues. You act like he said "Because of dovecot, i'm
> having POP3 or IMAP performance problems". He only said he noticed a
> change since going to 2.0.5. You could have suggested to try disabling
> all the plugins and then enabling each one until he notices a huge
> performance decrease, using whatever he was using to benchmark,
> instead of ignorantly implying he should have already known to do so.

I find this an all  too frequent occurrence in e-mail correspondence -
that humor doesn't translate well.  My statement had NOTHING to do with
the original author - and everything to do with the fact that *I* am a
Linux novice in general, a noob e-mail admin in particular - and I was
being *SELF*-deprecating.

I would go on - but have no wish to start a flame war.  Suffice it to
say if offense was taken, by anyone, then please accept my most sincere
& humble apologies.  No offense was intended.  I will say, however, that
I've found most people who feel slighted on discussion groups are quite
capable of voicing their issues themselves - a third party "defender" is
rarely necessary and usually creates more problems than were ever there
originally.  I'm quite certain Mr. Hildebrandt either took no offense
because he recognized none was intended - and/or because he knows his
own worth and disregards my opinion as insignficant - both of which are
equally valid.
--
Daniel