[Dovecot] migrate machines and upgrade

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Oct 8 22:27:29 EEST 2010

Donny Brooks wrote:
> Gotcha, so should I stay with the 1.2.xx branch and just use the
> mail_convert plugin? The only issue I have with that one is that I
> can't do it gradually and it pegs the server for all it has when a
> user is converted. Is there a better way to migrate from mbox to
> Maildir and also from old machine to new? That is my end goal,
> migrate to new machine and to Maildir.

I'm facing a similar issue.  I was thinking of separate stages.

1  leave the mail where it is, make it available via NFS.
2  install a good new Dovecot (1.2.15) on the new machine
(Test it etc.)
3  Change clients to access new Dovecot instead.  Give it a few days.
4  Sometime later, do the mail conversion to Maildir, and you could
decide what machine to have the mail on, too.

regards, Ron