[Dovecot] Visible temp files as Imap Folder in INBOX

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 19:47:45 EEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:

>> Sometimes, this file isn't deleted and then, you can see a new imap
>> folder called .nfs000000000159816c0000245 when you restart your
>> Evolution or another Imap Client.
>
> Something of a workaround, but there is an option to stat each file starting
> with a . and determing if it's directory or a file.  This would at least
> prevent the temp file appearing as a folder (at the cost of more disk io)

Perhaps a good feature request from us NFS+maildir users would be for
dovecot to ignore anything like .nfs[0-9]{20,} (or other nfs silly
file patterns, if there are any), since there's almost no way
someone's really got a folder called that. Presumably that'd be too
expensive to do on every single file, but I'm guessing relatively
painless to do on the top-level directory, when dovecot is building
the list of IMAP folders, esp versus having to stat() them all.

 Ok, it'll break *one* guy somewhere, probably an exec :)