[Dovecot] login_* options for 1.0.15

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Fri Oct 8 17:02:09 EEST 2010

Hello all,

Although i'm aware that version 1.0.15 is rather old, that's what is
used in Lenny, so...

Either way, the setup is rather simple, regular dovecot install, with
maildirs residing on a "local" ext3 filesystem accessed through FC to a
SAN (2Gbps link). The server has 2 cores (with HT), so "almost" 4 cores
and 3GB of ram.

A couple weeks ago we had a major number of account migrations, from POP
to IMAP. We started to notice that in times of peaks, specially after
lunch hour, dovecot started to get REALLY slow and closing client
connections. A restart to the service was enough to get things working
again.

Firstly i thought about the max fd number per process, but after
checking it turned out it was already rather large, 8192 in our case. I
cannot observe any concerning I/O load either.

Besides upgrading, are there any suggestions?

Regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307
Web      : http://hmonteiro.net

Divisão de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.fct.unl.pt                apoio at fct.unl.pt

fct.unl.pt:~# _