[Dovecot] Significant performance problems

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 7 09:26:03 EEST 2010

Chris,

On 10/6/10 9:42 PM, "Chris Hobbs" <chobbs at nhusd.k12.ca.us> wrote:
> 3) Modified my NFS mount with noatime to reduce i/o hits there. Need to
> figure out what Brad's suggestions about readahead on the server mean.

It's been a while since I mucked with Linux as a NFS server, I've been on
Netapp for a while. There may be less knobs than I recall.

> I do have one more idea I'll throw out there. Everything I've got here
> is virtual. I only have the one Dovecot/Postfix server running now, and
> the impression I get from you all is that that should be adequate for my
> load. What would the collective opinion be of simply removing the NFS
> server altogether and mounting the virtual disk holding my messages
> directly to the dovecot server?

If you're not planning on doing some sort of HA failover or load balancing,
and have the option to make your storage direct-attached instead of NAS, it
might be worth trying. There's not much to be gained from NFS in a
single-node configuration.

-Brad