[Dovecot] Significant performance problems

Chris Hobbs chobbs at nhusd.k12.ca.us
Thu Oct 7 07:42:57 EEST 2010

  For documentation's sake, here's what I've done so far:

1) Implemented Timo's fixes to my config file (fixed shared INDEX,
adjusted nfs settings for reality of only one server hitting it)

2) installed imapproxy on the webmail server at the recommendation of
the developers of that product (SOGo)

3) Modified my NFS mount with noatime to reduce i/o hits there. Need to
figure out what Brad's suggestions about readahead on the server mean.

4) Threw gobs of RAM at both the dovecot server (went from 4GB to 8) and
the NFS server (from 1GB to 8). Also cranked up vCPUs on each to 4.

I hope that's enough to get things working much better tomorrow morning.
I'll be back to report or beg for more. I really appreciate the quick

I do have one more idea I'll throw out there. Everything I've got here
is virtual. I only have the one Dovecot/Postfix server running now, and
the impression I get from you all is that that should be adequate for my
load. What would the collective opinion be of simply removing the NFS
server altogether and mounting the virtual disk holding my messages
directly to the dovecot server? I give up the ability to have a failover
dovecot/postfix server, which was my motivation for using NFS in the
first place, but a usable system probably trumps a redundant one.

Chris

--
Chris Hobbs
Director, Technology