[Dovecot] And again... too many open files

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Wed Oct 6 17:58:09 EEST 2010

On Miércoles 06 Octubre 2010 16:11:27 Timo Sirainen escribió:
> These limits don't affect Dovecot at all, because they're for users that
> are actually logging in (via PAM). System services get their limits
> elsewhere.

Ops! I thought limits.conf was a semi-official answer for this issue. But
you're right, I've been playing with it and looking at /proc/$PID/limits and
it has no influence. It works for initial dovecot process (run by root), but
not for the imap-login or pop3-login ones.

> One way at least that might work (I'm not sure) would be to put
>
> ulimit -n 4096
>
> to /etc/sysconfig/dovecot

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with my home made startup script.

Anyway, on a testing machine I've seen that the actual limit depends on the
configuration file (¿?). The initial limit was 533, and after adding the
following lines to dovecot.conf

login_processes_count = 16
login_max_connections = 512
login_process_size = 256

now it's 1045.

Any ideas?
--
Joseba Torre. Vicegerencia de TICs, área de Explotación