[Dovecot] How does sieve's vacation keep track of duplicates?

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Fri Oct 1 01:12:09 EEST 2010

On 09/30/2010 10:53 PM, ben at electricembers.net wrote:
> I see the .dovecot.lda-dupes file that is created, but it doesn't seem
> like just plain text, and it doesn't seem to include strings of the
> senders, just the recipient. But I know the vacation functionality is
> clever enough to keep track of who it's already autoreplied to.
>
> On a related note, I'm curious about other smarts built in to sieve's
> vacation responder -- what other things does it check, like Precedence
> header?
>
>  Benjamin

The other data is stored as a md5 hash. And, yes, the Precedence header
is checked.

In general, it should follow the specification closely:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230

The exact implementation is a bit much to explain in great detail. You
could check the code for more specific info:

http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-2.0-pigeonhole/file/37f5c82f33c2/src/lib-sieve/plugins/vacation/cmd-vacation.c

Starting at line 951.

Regards,

Stephan.