[Dovecot] Permission denied error log messages

Tom Talpey tmtalpey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:01:05 EET 2010

On 12/2/2010 11:44 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 2.12.2010, at 16.22, Tim Traver wrote:
>
>> Dec 02 06:59:12 lda(martha at xxxxx.com): Error: ostream: write(0x284eb000,
>> 8009) failed
>
> Oh. I thought it might have been something more exotic, like writev() or pwrite(). But this is about as basic as it gets..
>
>> Again, I'm running the latest 8.1 stable FreeBSD on this machine,
>> although I see the same errors on a 8.0 as well...
>> Disk isn't full, and it happened at 1:40 am, when there is virtually NO
>> load on the machine, or on the NFS server.
>
> You could try asking in some FreeBSD list why write() on NFS would ever return EACCES.

The most common reason for EACCES from NFS is an export permissions
denial, which in turn often originates from DNS and user lookup issues
at the server. However it's also possible that client issues can be
involved, such as mount options, NFS protocol selection, etc. You may
want to start with your server vendor.