[Dovecot] Newbee, some questions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 22 21:34:21 EET 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 05:39:15PM +0000, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:

> OK, I just registered with the list, so please be tolerant :-)
> I've been using another MTA for about, oh, I'd say nine years now.

I think we may have some terminology issues here. Dovecot is not a Mail
Transfer Agent (MTA). It is a POP3/IMAP server and can also act as a
Local Delivery Agent (LDA) for an MTA. It can also be used to provide
authentication services to an MTA for SMTP authentication.

> Due to reasons beyond me (mainly my clients demanding more for their
> buck / things like webmail etc.), I was forced to start searching for
> (always) open source alternatives.
>
> The last MTA was only POP3/SMTP. It does no webmail. It interfaces with
> other software with a lot of pain and difficulty.

Dovecot does not do webmail, but it can provide the IMAP access required
by some web based User Agents (MUA) such as SquirrelMail
<http://squirrelmail.org/> or roundcube <http://roundcube.net/>.

I think so. See <http://wiki.dovecot.org/> for more info.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,