[Dovecot] dovecot with IMAP and POP3 mixed

Andreas Meyer anmeyer at anup.de
Mon Mar 23 18:22:01 EET 2009

Hello!

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> schrieb:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:27:54PM +0100, Andreas Meyer wrote:
> >
> > Yes, this is what I get too and the default_folder_prefix is empty.
>

> I run dovecot with pop3, imap and squirrelmail with no problems.
>
> The major difference I see between your dovecot -n and mine other than
> the fact that you have 1.0.5 and I have 1.2.beta3 is that I have

Yes, this is a SuSE-rpm from openSuSE10.3

> mail_location: mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
>
> In other words, I specify one file for the INBOX and another directory
> for everything else. I don't think this works with maildir though.

I have the beast running. I found out that I had to create a directory
where dovecot can write indexes and such things to.

# dovecot -n
# 1.0.5: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_path: /var/log/dovecot1
protocols: imap imaps pop3
ssl_disable: yes
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: mbox:/var/spool/vhosts/%d/dovecotprivate/%n:INBOX=/var/spool/vhosts/%d/%n
mail_debug: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xu%08Xv
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/dovecot/passwd
  userdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/dovecot/passwd

So in dovecotprivate directories for the indexes are stored for mbox-users.
This works, I had to set permissions to 777 for dovecotprivate so that dovecot
can write into it. I don't know if this is a security-risk.

The /etc/dovecot/passwd then looks like this:

# anup.de (maildir)
mail at anup.de:{PLAIN}passwd:5000:5000::/var/spool/vhosts/anup.de/mail::userdb_mail=maildir:~/
user at anup.de:{PLAIN}passwd:5000:5000::/var/spool/vhosts/anup.de/user::userdb_mail=maildir:~/

# anup.de (mbox)
user7 at anup.de:{PLAIN}passwd7:5000:5000
user8 at anup.de:{PLAIN}passwd8:5000:5000

Works great and dovecot can handle both maildir and mbox for one domain.
And this solved also the problem with Squirrelmail. The setup is not fully
testet yet.

Thank you all!
--
   Andreas Meyer

A man, a miss, a car -- a curve,
He kissed the miss and missed the curve -- Burma Shave (1948)

Mein öffentlicher GPG-Schlüssel unter:
http://gpg-keyserver.de/pks/lookup?search=anmeyer&fingerprint=on&op=index