[Dovecot] Sieve problem: No vacation message when mail is addressed to an alias of the mailbox.

Geert Hendrickx ghen at telenet.be
Mon Jul 13 15:38:15 EEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 02:21:39PM +0200, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
>> This is to avoid auto-replies on messages not addressed directly to you
>> (eg. sent via mailing lists).
>
> a) Mailing lists must set Precedence: bulk
>
> b) Many lists address you in To or CC.
>
> c) Why shall no vacation to be sent, if I'm BCC'ed ?
>
> d) You cannot enumerate all addresses for some accounts.

It's RFC recommended practice, see RFC 3834:

   -  Personal and Group responses whose purpose is to notify the sender
      of a message of a temporary absence of the recipient (e.g.,
      "vacation" and "out of the office" notices) SHOULD NOT be issued
      unless a valid address for the recipient is explicitly included in
      a recipient (e.g., To, Cc, Bcc, Resent-To, Resent-Cc, or Resent-
      Bcc) field of the subject message.  Since a recipient may have
      multiple addresses forwarded to the same mailbox, recipients
      SHOULD be able to specify a set of addresses to the responder
      which it will recognize as valid for that recipient.

	Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen at telenet.be  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F