[Dovecot] dovecot-1.2-managesieve "make install" ignores Dovecot's prefix

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Fri Jan 30 19:53:18 EET 2009

Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> I'm trying to compile dovecot-1.2-managesieve from hg repo with Dovecot
> v1.2 and I found that managesieve uses another "install" target/prefix
> than I've configured in Dovecot.
>
> Is this intentional?
This behavior is taken from the v1.1 cmusieve plugin package. Therefore,
one must fully specify the necessary parameters for ./configure.

> Because you must specify the compiled Dovecot sources, is managesieve
> just "loosly" connected to Dovecot so it would survive a Dovecot (minor)
> update, or do I need to compile managesieve each time as well?
It will work, but the daemons will complain about version differences,
unless you set version_ignore=yes.

> If I need to compile each time, managesive should default to install
> into the same directory than Dovecot, shouldn't it?
I tend to agree, but I am not sure how to achieve this appropriately
(i.e. without using some kind of hideous hack). I will give this a look.

Regards,

Stephan.