[Dovecot] Shared subscription, acl-list and uidvalidity(s)

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Fri Jan 30 16:20:45 EET 2009

Hello,

I'm running dovecot-1.1.8/Maildir/ACL plugin. I sucessfully set up a Maildir
shared between users of the unix group 'doveshared' via a public namespace,
unix permissions and ACL files.

The location of my public namespace is /path/to/public.
I tried 2 sub-setups :

First setup

I first connect (in Thunderbird) to dovecot with user 'hummel', then with user
'doveimap'. The following files are created in /path/to/public/ :

-rw-------  1 doveimap  doveshared    40 Jan 30 14:03 dovecot-acl-list
-rw-------  1 hummel    doveshared     8 Jan 30 14:03 dovecot-uidvalidity
-rw-------  1 hummel    doveshared     0 Jan 30 14:02 dovecot-uidvalidity.4982fa7a

I've got my own idea about what they're used for, but can you explain what they
are supposed to be ?

I guess the uidvalidity files are UIDVALIDITY, not for the mailboxes the
namespace holds (since my understanding is that the uidvalidities of mailboxes
are stored in the first line of dovecot-uidlist files), but for the namespace
itself (in case it is destroyed and then recreated for instance). Am I right ?
Why 2 files ?

Second setup

As expected, dovecot (and it shows in the logs), has not sufficient permissions
to create the files above (dovecot-acl-list, dovecot-uidvalidity,
dovecot-uidvalidity.4982fa7a). What are the consequences ?

Thanks.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau