[Dovecot] cram-md5 problem

Richard Stockton dovecot at richardleestockton.org
Fri Jan 30 02:22:45 EET 2009

I just updated to dovecot 1.1.10 from 1.1.2 and now anyone using
cram-md5 can't get authenticated.  I am using mysql for passwords
(in plain text) and home directories.

Per some googling I tried to set (in /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf):

   # SQL database
   userdb sql {
     # Path for SQL configuration file, see doc/dovecot-sql.conf for example
     args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
   }

but that didn't help.  And in any case people NOT using cram-md5 can
authenticate just fine, both before and after I made that change.

This worked "out of the box" under 1.1.2, but is broken now.
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
  - Richard