[Dovecot] deliver and qmail

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Jan 28 16:37:21 EET 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Rick Romero schrieb:

>>> qmail is way obsolete and buggy.
>>> http://mandree.home.pages.de/qmail-bugs.html
>>
>> Yes, in it's default form.  Hence netqmail.
>
> So? netqmail fixes only a minority of qmail's bugs, but not the
> ones that
> require touching qmail's concepts - and I don't even make an
> attempt to
> update my bug list, since I find netqmail's change list too terse.

Some of the 'problem' concepts are opinions.  For example, I use
qmail's unbundled sending to monitor mail throughput.  (I run a free
service)  When the queue sizes shoot up, it's shut down and I remove
the spammer.  A bundled email to 150 users would still be 1 email,
and that does me no good.  The only place for Postfix would be a dumb
relay for those providers that throttle connections (assuming that
was a real issue for me).

>>> I've migrated away to Postfix ages before Postfix 1.0 was
>>> released and
>>> never rued that change a split second...
>>
>> and I suppose you've never upgraded it - right? :P
>
> Nah. Of course I upgraded Postfix - but I have yet to see another
> piece of
> software where upgrades go so smoothly.

make setup check   didn't seem to hard for me (even after my custom
patches).  And you've now said that software is updated to fix
problems and add features.
It's a crime to not specify AT LEAST what version of qmail you're
complaining about.   Or is it a bunch of different issues with
different versions all crammed on one page?   The first complaint
acknowledges that it may no longer exist in 1.03 (released when?).
If anyone really reads beyond that, I'd be surprised.

>> The bigger problem, other than a minor hardware/filesystem
>> upgrade, is
>> does deliver obey .qmail files in the user's home directory?
>
> Dovecot's deliver certainly doesn't.

So back to the original question:
Then it's pretty much useless in a qmail environment unless the admin
has already changed those features to require maildrop or procmail.
If that has been done, then the directory lookup should already be
done, and you can do deliver at the end of your maildrop or procmail
script.

Rick