[Dovecot] managesieve proxy cyrus

Stephan Bosch s.bosch at utwente.nl
Tue Jan 27 18:38:15 EET 2009

Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've configured a dovecot server in proxy mode. It seems to work well
> but. I've tested managesieve with squirrelmail and it's working
> correctly but I can't connect to cyrus sieve server : timsieved
First of all, what versions are you using? How is it all configured? Do
the Dovecot and Cyrus logs contain anything useful?

> Does anybody here have configure a sieve proxy to do this ?
Your setup is a bit odd. I haven't tried this ever and doubt anyone else
has. The proxying feature is mainly implemented with Dovecot back-ends
in mind. In an ideal world this should work however, so there is a
possibility that the Dovecot proxy is not working properly.

> Or is it a normal behavior and dovecot sieve proxy can't speak with
> cyrus sieve ?
Theoretically, this setup should be possible. However, the protocol
specification is unfortunately not always followed to the letter. Also,
Cyrus possibly does not allow you to login with the SASL PLAIN mechanism
(the only one supported for proxying now). This seems unlikely though,
since the IMAP proxy does work.

Without more information I can only guess what is going on. Could you
sniff the communication between Dovecot and Cyrus (e.g. using ngrep)?
Perhaps, if it is not too much trouble, I can make it work...

Regards,

Stephan