[Dovecot] No Spaces in Directory names

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Jan 27 16:43:08 EET 2009

Matt Rude wrote, On 1/25/09 10:49 PM:
> How can I make it so my users can not create folders with spaces in
> them? Or allow them to create such folders but rewrite them on the
> hardrive with a "_" or some other symbol. I have looked threw the wiki
> but couldn't find anything about folder name restrictions or folder name
> rewriting (rewrite the space to a "_").

That is probably in large part due to it being a very bad idea. As the first
break point for that approach: what happens when a user wants to put a real
'_' in a name?

> Im having problems with some of the expire and compress scripts when it
> hits these types of folders.

You need to fix those scripts. Breaking because a file or directory name has
a space in it is a warning sign about the care taken in a script and it is
almost certain that if those scripts don't work with spaces in names, they
will also break with other technically achievable names. There's a real
chance that the breakage is an exploitable weakness in the scripts, with
spaces in names being the most benign attack.