[Dovecot] FOLDER INTERNAL DATA (uw pine header)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 23 20:04:12 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 12:48 -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I run Dovecot on CentOS 4 (dovecot-1.1.4-0_81.el4), and I *also* run the
> "Alpine" mail system that comes with that OS. Alpine still writes out the
> 'FOLDER INTERNAL DATA' pseudo-message at the beginning of each user's
> mbox, but dovecot does not. I make use of that record as a simle/quick way
> to verify when a user actually last read their e-mail (for administrative
> purposes, identifying stale/unused accounts), so is there any way to
> configure/command dovecot to write (or update) these hidden messages?

Dovecot writes the pseudo message when the mailbox is emptied (all
messages are expunged). Maybe the difference is that Alpine writes the
pseudo message also when creating the mailbox (or when selecting the
created empty mailbox). I guess Dovecot could do that too then.. but I
don't really want to waste time on writing that code.