[Dovecot] Postfix and Dovecot

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Jan 23 14:01:33 EET 2009

Leonardo Coelho schrieb:
> Hi Everybody,
> I'm mount two failover servers which use Postfix and Dovecot but the
> hostname of the machines r diferent:
> first node
> # uname -n
> # mail
> secound node
> #uname -n
> #mail2
> So far so good, the real problem is that the e-mail file name on server is
> like this:
>
> 1232449377.P31789Q0M963611.mail2
>
> and when I using the server called mail the file stay like this:
>
> 1232449377.P31789Q0M963611.mail
>
> I'm using drbd disk for the mailboxes and when I'm using the server called
> mail the files with mail2 on the end is not read for the dovecot when the
> user turn on the mail client but if I change the end from mail2 to mail
> that's ok the dovecot can read.
>
> How can I make dovecot read both files or any name on the end?
>

> Thanks

Hi i may fail here, but
wouldnt it be better to have real loadbalancing
( which includes failover ) on a loadbalanced shared ip
an configure postfix and dovecot using same hostname ?
then there should not be any differnce in a mails filename

but evtl this solves your problem more easy
depends on your setup if using lda

from example
##
## LDA specific settings
##

protocol lda {
  # Address to use when sending rejection mails.
  postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com

  # Hostname to use in various parts of sent mails, eg. in Message-Id.
  # Default is the system's real hostname.
  #hostname =

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer