[Dovecot] deliver rejection bounces

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Wed Jan 21 09:23:50 EET 2009

On T 20 Jan, 2009, at 12:38 , Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> So you can hack sendmail. Exim, too, if I remember correctly.

I would not call that hack in exim case though. It is possible to
avoid all backscatter, first of all by avoiding delivery by an
external programme*. This will still leave the possibility of a
failure in forwarding, but by changing the envelope sender to the
local administrator address (setting errors_to in the delivering
routers) even a failure in forwarding will only cause a locally
delivered failure report. There is no excuse for backscatter and
whoever causes it will likely and rightly end up in some blacklist,
local or distributed, sooner or later.
Giuliano