[Dovecot] Dovecot optimisation

Tue Jan 20 20:52:23 EET 2009

On 1/20/2009 11:23 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Which brings up a repeat request for alphabetical sorting of the output
>> of dovecot -n and dovecot -a (makes it very easy to find settings and to
>> make sure you aren't missing something), and for a new -d option to
>> output only the default settings (as opposed to ALL), to make it easy to
>> clean up redundant settings (setting something explicitly that has the
>> value you are setting it to as the default), which makes for clean -n
>> output.

> I'm now working on configuration handling rewrite for v1.3. Maybe for
> that. :)

While we're on the subject, and since you're already working on a
(total?) rewrite of the config handling... ;)

To continue to borrow from postfix, how about adding some additional
parameters - or at least coding to allow for their addition later if it
is a lot of work now?

Suggestions:

Change command from 'dovecot -n[d][a]' to 'doveconf -n[d][a]' etc...

Allow config parameters to be added/edited via the commandline ala
postfix, for example:

doveconf -e "mail_executable=/usr/libexec/dovecot/imap" would edit (-e)
the config file and add this parameter setting

doveconf mail_executable would show the current setting for mail_executable

etc...

Obviously, I like the way postfix works... :)

--

Best regards,

Charles