[Dovecot] behavior of dovecot with Openldap

Masaharu Kawada mkawada at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 10:04:31 EET 2009

Dear team,

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd like to know the behavior
of dovecot in a particular stuation. My questions are as follows.

In /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf, 'hosts=' field is the one which can be used
to specify availabled ldap server to access from the clients to authorize.
And also sevral ldap servers can be specified in 'hosts =' field as shown
like below.

hosts = ldap-server1.example.com ldap-server2.example.com

※both server have the same configuration and available to replication
ldap-server1(master) to ldap-server2(slave).

If this is right, how does dovecot know which ldap server is currently used?
and if the master dies, how does dovecot know and switch to slave one?
In addition, which one is the exact behavior of dovecot in case master
server
dies?

1. only swithcing to the slave server
2. switching to the slave server, and once the master server is reactive
then
switch back to the master server automatically

OS:RHEL4 U3
kernel 2.6.9-34.ELsmp
openldap-2.2.13-12.el4

Thanks in advance,