[Dovecot] Dovecot discards mail over quota

Gary V mr88talent at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 21:36:57 EET 2009

I'm new to Dovecot, using 1.1.8 and I just wanted to verify that what
I am observing is the intended behavior. I'm using Maildir++ quota.
When a message is delivered to a mailbox that cannot accept the
message because it would place them over the quota limit, deliver
states to the MTA that the messsage was delivered successfully
(example using postfix):

Jan 17 12:05:31 msa postfix/pipe[13983]: 088C5B9D47:
to=<test at example.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.72,
delays=0.34/0.02/0/0.36, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot
service)

But in actuality the mail is discarded (dropped).
Then a bounce is created stating the mail was rejected:

Your message to <test at example.com> was automatically rejected:
Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full).

Question: is it possible (without changing code) to alter this to
where deliver would instead tempfail or something. Somehow it seems
wrong to me to tell the MTA that everything is good, and then silently
discard messages - regardless of the fact dovecot creates a bounce.
This is not necessarily ideal either, but I _am_ wondering if this is
configurable or not.

deliver(test at example.com): 2009-01-17 12:05:31 Info:
msgid=<1293474859.20090117120812 at example.com>: save failed to INBOX:
Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)
deliver(test at example.com): 2009-01-17 12:05:31 Info: sieve runtime
error: Keep: Generic Error
deliver(test at example.com): 2009-01-17 12:05:31 Error:
sieve_execute_bytecode(/var/sieve/global.sievec) failed
deliver(test at example.com): 2009-01-17 12:05:31 Info:
msgid=<1293474859.20090117120812 at example.com>: rejected: Quota
exceeded (mailbox for user is full)
deliver(garyv at example.com): 2009-01-17 12:05:31 Info:
msgid=<dovecot-1232219131-401523-0 at msa>: saved mail to INBOX

--
Gary V