[Dovecot] Possible Bug segnalation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 15 17:44:11 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 11:08 +0100, Claudio Prono wrote:
> Today i have manually copied at least 250 mail from a mailbox to another
> and i have encountered some problems with dovecot. When finished to
> download all the messages, via pop3, at the next check mail dovecot give
> me that error:

Since POP3 supports only downloading mails, I guess this copying
operation was the same as if you simply had downloaded the mails.

> dovecot: Jan 15 10:59:55 Info: POP3(michele at domain.net): Mailbox init
> failed top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/29, size=932800

Do you see another error message? This isn't actually error (see the
Info: line there). The error message should be written either before
that line, or perhaps in another log file entirely. See
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging

> Then, the messages from the pop server was deleted,

Probably the messages were deleted by the previous download? This error
message doesn't cause messages to be deleted.

> I have resolved that deleting all the dovecot files into the mailbox, so:
>
> dovecot-uidlist
> dovecot.index
> dovecot.index.cache
> dovecot.index.log

Deleting only the dovecot.index* files would probably have been enough.

> Then, all restarted to works normally, but...the most bad thing is...
> the lost mails!

You mean that all the 250 mails weren't copied, or they were all copied
but also deleted?