[Dovecot] ldap performance?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 15 00:43:51 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 23:36 +0100, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> I'm curious if anybody can give any insight as to what kind of
> performance to expect from authentication binds ? How many
> POP3s/second should we expect from it ?

Try yourself with imaptest (http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest):

imaptest - select=0 clients=<try different values>

It'll authenticate the same user, but as long as you don't enable auth
cache it'll still do the LDAP lookups and you can get a pretty good idea
of the performance.

My guess is that the performance bottleneck won't be authentication
binds, as long as the latency between Dovecot and LDAP server is small.