[Dovecot] dovecot 1.2 shared namespace/mailboxes %%u expands only to %

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 15 00:10:07 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 12:24 +0100, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> [...]

This kind of configuration doesn't actually work too great. The %d there
gets always replaced with the logged in user's domain. So there is just
no extra benefit of having %d there, because it'll be the same for
everyone, even for shared mailboxes from other domains (if you ever
happened to have any). It also makes LIST "" % not work right by not
listing "shared" mailbox. Probably too much trouble to fix that..

So.. I'd just recommend using either shared/%%d/%%n/ or shared/%%u/
prefix. Or since you want only the same domain maybe just shared/%%n/

Also you should probably set subscriptions=no to the namespace.
list=children also makes the shared/ prefix invisible if there are no
shared mailboxes.

> i think it should look like ( no sharing over existing domains only own
> domain )
> location = maildir:/usr/local/virtual/%d/%%u/:INDEX=~/shared/%d/%%u/
> but error stays

The extra %d in INDEX location isn't useful, since it's already under
your home dir. So:

location = maildir:/usr/local/virtual/%d/%%u/:INDEX=~/shared/%%u/

Are you really using /usr/local/virtual/domain/user at domain/ and not
just /usr/local/virtual/domain/user/?

> dovecot: Jan 13 11:47:56 Info: IMAP(robert at schetterer.com): maildir++:
> root=/usr/local/virtual/schetterer.com/%,

I was previously thinking a bit wrong. % is a LIST wildcard. I couldn't
reproduce this problem with LIST though. Could you look at the IMAP
traffic and reproduce it manually to see what command exactly causes
this error?

> >>   acl_shared_dict: file:/var/lib/dovecot/shared/mailboxes
> >
> > What are the contents of this file? Also you'll only need
> > acl_shared_dict. Looks like dovecot-example.conf incorrectly used
> > acl_dict.
>
> sorry timo, there ist less documention about this file
> ( cant find any help what they should include on the web )
> so they only exist without content, do you have examples?

You don't need to know its contents. I just would have wanted to see it
myself to see what kind of configuration you have at this moment. The
proper way to fill the file is to just give IMAP commands, e.g.:

1 SETACL mybox another.user at domain lr

That ACL must not already exist in dovecot-acl file, otherwise the
acl_shared_dict file isn't updated. If it is there already you could
just do:

1 DELETEACL mybox another.user at domain
2 SETACL mybox another.user at domain lr

> yes debug gives less information, as well there is to less
> doku about shared namespaces and acl

I haven't had time to write the documentation yet.