[Dovecot] deliver: command died with signal 6

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 13 19:46:04 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 16:22 +0100, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:46:35AM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >
> > Before this raw backtrace there should have been a "Panic: Something"
> > logged also. That's more important than the raw backtrace.
>
> I can't find that in the syslog. But I found this just before the
> backtrace:
>
>     deliver(someuser at mydomain.no):  file mail-index-sync-update.c: line 854 (mail_index_sync_update_index): assertion failed: (view->hdr.messages_count == map->hdr.messages_count)

Reading your old mails: are you still using GPFS? This crash just
shouldn't be happening, so perhaps something randomly breaks with it.
Are you using mmap_disable=yes? Multiple servers can access the same
user's mails at the same time?

Anyway Dovecot still shouldn't be crashing no matter what GPFS does, but
I won't try to fix v1.0 indexing bugs anymore since I've already done a
ton of work to get them more robust in v1.1.