[Dovecot] PDF corruption issue

Wed Jan 7 22:46:04 EET 2009

On 1/7/2009 2:58 PM, Michael Dunne wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks to everyone that replied. I have not been able to isolate the
> cause, has this happened to anyone else?

I don't know if it helps, but I had a pdf corruption problem a while
back that drove me crazy for about 2 weeks, to the point I was beginning
to suspect the mail server too, even though it didn't make sense...

Then I accidentally stumbled on the cause...

We use a centrally located/shared version of FoxitReader (standalone
version, not the installer version).

At some point I updated it, and sometime later started getting
occasional complaints of corrupt pdfs - some of the corrupt pdfs were
generated internally, and some weren't. They would be emailed/forwarded
once or more times and would be ok up to a certain point. I had narrowed
the problem down to PDFs that would open ok in FoxitReader, but not
Adobe Reader - but didn't connect the foxitreader update and the
corruption issues until I just happened to watch someone open a PDF from
an email, click the 'File' menu in FoxitReader, then click 'Save As',
and save a copy.

Anyway, careful testing revealed that this particular build of
FoxitReader had a weird bug, where doing this - opening a PDF then
clickng 'File' > 'Save As' would create a PDF that would open ok in
FoxitReader, but not Adobe Reader. I also confirmed this as a known bug
with the Foxit Software guys. Sorry, but  don't remember the build #...

Anyway, for what it worth...

--

Best regards,

Charles