[Dovecot] Sudden, large numbers of "Timeout while waiting for lock for transaction log ..."

Jack Stewart jstewart at caltech.edu
Wed Jan 7 20:26:18 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 08:32 -0800, Jack Stewart wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>> This is the main problem. So indexes are also on NFS? What locking are
>>> they using (dovecot -n output)?
>>>
>> Yes, the indexes are also on NFS.
>>
>> The locking is fcntl() - the default.
>
> I'm guessing that's the problem. NFS locking seems to break/hang
> randomly sometimes. Can you somehow restart the NFS server locking
> daemon?

restarting the server would be tough but I'll see what can be done. It's
an EMC Celerra with head failover so in theory it should be straight
forward.

There is another red flag. The Celerra is configured for snapshots and
the problem started around the time one of the snapshots occurred. I'm
fairly sure that the snapshots use file or volume locking.