[Dovecot] convert non-standard mbox to maildir

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Sat Jan 3 17:01:21 EET 2009

Hi,

Let me start with wishing you all the best for this new year, and I hope
we'll see a lot of new features and not so much new bugs ;-)

I'm trying to convert a number of PSTs to maildir. Just plain drag&drop in
Outlook doesn't work (gives a very cryptic error message in a certain
folder, but that folder is perfectly all right), and using the import
option also barfs when it's not even half-way through the PST.
So, I took aid4mail and it converted the PST to mbox wihtout any problem.

But now, I have a directory structure, filled with mbox mailboxes.
Like:
INBOX
INBOX/mailbox
INBOX/subfolder
INBOX/subfolder/mailbox
INBOX/subfolder/subsubfolder
INBOX/subfolder/subsubfolder/mailbox
INBOX/subfolder2
INBOX/subfolder2/mailbox
etc.

This differs from normal mbox setup, but given the fact that there are
both folders AND messages below inbox, this is indeed the only useful way
to do it.
But now I cannot convert this to maildir using either dovecot or mb2md,
since it's not the usual mbox setup.

Thanks in advance,
Maarten