[Dovecot] Dovecot not accepting connections

Jim Jim at themailshack.com
Fri Apr 17 04:32:29 EEST 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> So did it time out on a) or b)?

Timed out after a.

> And you say "domain name", what about IP address? If the problem is
> with
> DNS resolving?

Didn't try that, one more data point for next time.

>> The only odd thing that I noticed when I went to stop and restart the
>> Dovecot process is that only one dovecot-auth process was running,
>> normally I see two processing running.  After quitting Dovecot and
>> starting it again, I saw two dovecot-auth processes start up, and
>> then
>> I was able to get mail just fine.
>
> Was one of them "dovecot -w" process? Anyway the number of dovecot-
> auth
> processes shouldn't really make a difference.

May be unrelated then, just something I noticed.  I just start Dovecot
with a '/usr/local/sbin/dovecot' at startup, I'm not sure what the -w
flag does?  It doesn't seem to be an option in my version:

Usage: dovecot [-F] [-c <config file>] [-p] [-n] [-a]
        [--version] [--build-options] [--exec-mail <protocol> [<args>]]
Fatal: Unknown argument: -w