[Dovecot] Global Sieve File

James Butler jbutler at thebestdefense.com
Tue Apr 7 22:49:58 EEST 2009

Thank you very much for your reply, Mr. Bosch. Still trying to iron it out.

> If you are using the new Sieve implementation, you can use the new
> multiscript feature. It is not explained on the wiki yet (I should give
> the new Sieve its own page), but things are outlined in the
> configuration section of the INSTALL file:

I'm still getting permissions errors like when I wasn't using 'sieve_before':

dovecot: deliver(user1): sieve: binary open(/dovecot/global.svbin) \
  failed: Permission denied
dovecot: deliver(user1): sieve: open(/dovecot/global.svbin.tmp) \
  failed for binary save: Permission denied
dovecot: deliver(user1): sieve: rename(/dovecot/global.before.svbin.tmp, \
  /dovecot/global.before.svbin) failed for binary save: Permission denied

A normal user (user1) doesn't have permission to do anything in the
directory that stores the global.sieve/.svbin files, which is owned by
dovecot:dovecot.

Has anyone got a successful installation of a global Sieve file they could
describe? Using the multiscript feature would be great, if you have done
it successfully. I very much appreciate the way this is supposed to go,
according to the docs, and I really hope to find someone who is actually
using a global Sieve file successfully, so I can learn from their example.
I'm sure it's something simple, but I just can't see the problem in my own
installation.

Thanks a lot.
(Local Sieve files work fine, but I still have a need for a global filter.)

James