[Dovecot] Test environment question

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Fri Oct 3 21:33:50 EEST 2008

I have V1.1 running on a test server that NFS mounts mbox-formatted inbox and
home folder dirs.  I have eliminated the profile listing for connection to the
V1.0 production servers so that can't start up and corrupt the synch of the test
servers indices

I am seeing posix_fallocate and file_set_size errmsgs in the mail syslog, but
see a pattern:

1) They only happen with the /var/spool/mail inbox NOT with any of the /home
folders and appear to be happening every 10 minutes from the time I started DC
(9AM, 10/1/98) until 11AM, 10/2...and then ceased
The every ten minute message sets looked like this:
  > Oct  1 22:30:31 egg mail:err|error dovecot: IMAP(sdean): posix_fallocate()
failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
  > Oct  1 22:30:31 egg mail:err|error dovecot: IMAP(sdean): file_set_size()
failed with mbox file /var/spool/mail/sdean: Resource temporarily unavailable
  > Oct  1 22:40:31 egg mail:err|error dovecot: IMAP(sdean): posix_fallocate()
failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
  > Oct  1 22:40:31 egg mail:err|error dovecot: IMAP(sdean): file_set_size()
failed with mbox file /var/spool/mail/sdean: Resource temporarily unavailable
  > Oct  1 22:50:31 egg mail:err|error dovecot: IMAP(sdean): posix_fallocate()
failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

2) My Thunderbird client's server settings are set to check for mail every 10
minutes AND I don't access the mail overnight, so it this must be causing it!
I did check the crontabs on both my test and production servers and they had
nothing with this time periodicity

3) However, then there was the following:
a) If I used webmail, which accessed the production server and got the indices
on my test server out of sync, I got this error message from in the mail syslog
on my test server:
> Oct  3 12:20:23 egg mail:err|error dovecot: IMAP(sdean): mbox sync: UID inserted
>  in the middle of mailbox /var/spool/mail/sdean (648818 > 648046, seq=1153, idx_
> msgs=1187)
Which is what one would expect...once the V1.1 code is on production server that
won't happen anymore, so that's OK and can be ignored
b) I seem to end up having leftover imap session on the test server.  Around 1PM
today, I was unable to get mail and saw these messages in the test server's mail
syslog:
> Oct  3 12:44:58 egg mail:info dovecot: imap-login: Maximum number of connections
>  from user+IP exceeded: user=<sdean>, method=PLAIN, rip=10.20.10.169, lip=192.24
> 6.229.31
Turns out I had 10+ sessions, one back from yesterday, so I killed them all and
could get mail, but...about six minutes later, I had the two posix_fallocate and
file_set_size errmsgs again after not having any for a day.  So something about
new connections maybe causes this?

Any ideas why:
a) I am having leftover IMAP sessions on my test server?  This doesn't happen on
   my production DC V1.0 server
b) Ditto on the the posix_fallocate and file_set_size errmsgs which also aren't
found on my production server's mail syslog.
?

I do realize that these seem to be related to Tbird, but they don't happen with
V1.0....

I have attached my original note with its copies of the dovecot -n
output for both machines