[Dovecot] Manual thread breaking from Thunderbird

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 7 18:10:48 EEST 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 5:59 PM, Bill Cole wrote:

> At 1:41 PM +0200 5/7/08, rosenfield.albert at gmail.com wrote:
>> Christian Jaeger wrote:
>>>  I'm looking for a way to manually break threads apart when
>>> independent
>>> threads are mixed up, mostly by users which aren't aware that they
>>> should
>>> not be replying to existing threads when starting a new one.
>>
>> Sounds like a great idea!
>
> The IMAP extension that supports threading (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-imapext-sort-20
> ) has no support for clients 'breaking' threads.

Thunderbird and most other clients don't use server-side threading, so
this doesn't matter there.

> I suppose one could also try to define a new IMAP threading
> extension or to convince Mark Crispin to make radical changes to the
> one he's been working on (and implementing in UW-IMAP) for 8 years,
> but I suspect that those approaches would be high-effort and low-
> yield.

The existing THREAD=REFERENCES can't be changed, but new ones can be
added. Dovecot v1.2 will have THREAD=X-REFERENCES2 which I'll probably
try to get standardized.

It would be possible to make a new threading algorithm that started a
new thread if a message had e.g. "newthread" keyword. But I don't
really see it being worth the trouble.

>> I'm curious though, how do convince your Thunderbird and Dovecot to
>> work like Gmail and keep everything threaded in the same folder in
>> the
>> first place?

Virtual mailboxes would do that trick. Dovecot v1.2 will have support
for that, although many clients also support it already.