[Dovecot] POP3 locking

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Jul 30 09:29:33 EEST 2008

Adrian Overbury wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what dovecot's behavior will be in a given
> scenario to see if it will work as a (hopefully better) replacement
> for the home-grown pop3 server we currently use.
>
> User A is on a slow dialup connection, and uses, oh, let's say
> Outlook, since that's where most of our problems seem to spring from.
> User A uses outlook to download his mail over pop3.  Half way through
> downloading a particularly large message, Outlook decides that the
> whole process isn't happening fast enough, so it opens another
> connection to the server and tries to download (potentially) the same
> message again.

I can't say I have ever seen this happen with Outlook to be honest?
Usually when this happens it means the user has added their one account
in Outlook more than once?  Which version do you see this happen in?

Dovecot can be made to do exclusive locks, or the default is to share
the mailbox.  I don't recall the config option, but check a recent conf file

> Oh, and I'm user dovecot 1.0.beta3, since I don't really have the
> option of upgrading the OS on my mail servers any time soon.

Now that's just silly talk.  Upgrade to a more recent version anyway

If you post your OS type then I'm sure someone will help with packages -
otherwise compile from source

Ed W