[Dovecot] DoveCot IMAP and "inconsistent state" messages

Christer Mjellem Strand christer at mjellem.no
Wed Jul 30 01:32:57 EEST 2008

>>> Jul 21 14:27:41 betty dovecot: IMAP(foobar): Maildir
>>> /var/vpopmail/domains/foobar.baz/foobar/Maildir sync: UID inserted in the
>>> middle of mailbox (4412 > 4385, file = 1214817167.16333_0.betty:2,RST)
>>
>> Show your dovecot -n output?
>
> Sorry, should have included that right away.
>
> betty - ~ # dovecot -n
[..]
>   lazy_expunge: .Trash/ .Trash/ .Trash/

Just upgraded to 1.1.2, and so far it's looking promising. The slightly more
elaborate error messages helped me identify the probable root cause of the
problem. I've got lazy_expunge configured to mimic the behavior of my old
Courier, where anything deleted anywhere will simply get thrown into Trash,
regardless of context.
I suspect that this leads to situations where messages deleted from Trash get
copied to Trash, leading them to seemingly reappear "out of nowhere".

It'd be great if Dovecot was able to handle this more gracefully, ideally by
catching this, being aware of the situation, and ignoring deletions from
whatever is defined as the Trash directory by lazy_expunge.

I guess my setup is sorta stupid, and probably not entirely what lazy_expunge
was intended for, so if anyone has any other suggestions as to how to achieve
this behavior, those would be welcome.

Thanks for your help!

--
   Christer Mjellem Strand               yitzhaq
   GSM +47 922 000 12     JID: yitzhaq at jabber.no