[Dovecot] Server-side sieve for client-side copies

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Tue Jul 29 23:12:43 EEST 2008

Daniel L. Miller escreveu:
> The question:  can Dovecot be configured to support sieve filters on
> IMAP (not just SMTP) operations (Eduardo helped me here - so I'll
> specifically ask about the APPEND command).
>
> If not , I'll make that a feature-request - "Timo, can Dovecot be
> modified to support sieve-filters on APPEND operations?".  Failing
> that, can some specific operation subsets of sieve be supported on a
> cron-like basis?  My understanding is that operations involving
> indexes are extremely fast - and that things like sender/recipient are
> included in the indexes.  So filters based on sender/recipient might
> be possible?

At this moment it can't. And as a matter of fact, I doubt it ever will,
because it doesn't really make sense.

I'm no expert in the IMAP protocol, but as far as I understand, the
APPEND command is used to store a new mail in a given mailbox. It would
not make sense to run a filter to store the message somewhere other than
where the client asked when using that command (just to use the specific
example).