[Dovecot] Server-side sieve for client-side copies

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Jul 29 23:07:01 EEST 2008

Patrick Nagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:38:19 -0700, "Daniel L. Miller" <dmiller at amfes.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that sending a message from a client (use
>> Thunderbird for simplicity of this conversation) is performed via SMTP.
>> Saving a copy into a sent folder is performed via IMAP (hence the
>> multiple transfers to the server).  Now that I've laid a background -
>> let's make it Dovecot specific.  I don't know how "behind-the-scenes"
>> Dovecot performs the act of saving mail messages that it receives from
>> IMAP, instead of SMTP.  Specifically, if I'm using sieve filters via
>> deliver - can I setup a filter that will place mail copies to specific
>> recipients into specific subfolders?
>>

> It seems to me, that you are assuming that Dovecot also speaks SMTP and is
> able to actually handle sending of mails to other hosts. To clarify:
> Dovecot is an IMAP/POP3 mail server (with integrated Mail Delivery Agent
> (MDA) or Local Delivery Agent (LDA) (synonyms)). SMTP is being handled by a
> Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) such as Postfix.
While it's usually appropriate to assume I'm ignorant, naive, or
generally speaking out of my @ss, I'm afraid the responses I've received
don't answer the question I asked.  I do understand how the MUA talks to
the MTA and the whole SMTP/IMAP thing.  I rambled a little bit just in
case someone came up with a better solution for the double transmit
scenario - but that wasn't the question.

The question:  can Dovecot be configured to support sieve filters on
IMAP (not just SMTP) operations (Eduardo helped me here - so I'll
specifically ask about the APPEND command).

If not , I'll make that a feature-request - "Timo, can Dovecot be
modified to support sieve-filters on APPEND operations?".  Failing that,
can some specific operation subsets of sieve be supported on a cron-like
basis?  My understanding is that operations involving indexes are
extremely fast - and that things like sender/recipient are included in
the indexes.  So filters based on sender/recipient might be possible?

--
Daniel