[Dovecot] Server-side sieve for client-side copies

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon Jul 28 19:38:19 EEST 2008

I know I could test this - but I'd rather ask first.  To my knowledge,
we haven't come up with a good server-side implementation for savings
copies of sent messages (by all means correct my ignorance in this
regard).  So the typical way is to enable it in clients like Thunderbird
(this prompted a whole discussion of how to save these messages without
sending them to the server multiple times).

My understanding is that sending a message from a client (use
Thunderbird for simplicity of this conversation) is performed via SMTP.
Saving a copy into a sent folder is performed via IMAP (hence the
multiple transfers to the server).  Now that I've laid a background -
let's make it Dovecot specific.  I don't know how "behind-the-scenes"
Dovecot performs the act of saving mail messages that it receives from
IMAP, instead of SMTP.  Specifically, if I'm using sieve filters via
deliver - can I setup a filter that will place mail copies to specific
recipients into specific subfolders?
--
Daniel