[Dovecot] Error - Dovecot Permission denied

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Sat Jul 26 23:54:41 EEST 2008

kbajwa wrote:
> CentOS 5.2
> Postfix 2.3.3 (Came Packed with CentOS)
> Dovecot 1.1.1
> Dovecot-Sieve 1.1.5
>
> Did a complete new fresh install. When I send a message to:
> test at wildpeacockstudios.com, I get two error messages as listed in the
> /var/log/maillog:
>
> (1) (lost connection with mail.tibonline.net[12.179.81.11] while receiving
> the initial server greeting)

your postfix cannot connect to mail.tiboline.net. check if anything is
breaking the connection (firewall, pix, ..., etc).

> (2) status=bounced (local configuration error. Command output: Fatal:
> open(/etc/dovecot.conf) failed: Permission denied )

# ls -l / | grep /etc
# ls -l /etc/dovecot.conf

and if you have selinux, apparmor or such beasts, make sure they are not
  preventing deliver from accessing /etc and/or to /etc/dovecot.conf.