[Dovecot] stopping dovecot

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Sat Jul 26 21:43:29 EEST 2008

On Saturday 26 July 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> >> I have imap-login processes staying arround and occupying port
> >
> > Ah, well, that's a different question! Stopping dovecot won't kill the
> > processes with actual logins. -> killall imap-login
>
> It does kill everything.

"It" means what?

kill -TERM `cat /var/run/dovecot/master.pid` ? That doesn't kill imap-login
processes.

> I don't know if there's anything that Dovecot
> can do about the "Address already in use" problem. It seems that the
> OS is keeping the listener alive for some reason longer than the
> processes exist.

imap-login processes still exist so this behaviour is valid.

I've checked few init.d/dovecot scripts and there is no imap-login killing in
these, so I assumed that sending TERM to master causes master to kill it's
childs but again - that's not the case here since dovecot process dies while
imap-login is still alive.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team