[Dovecot] FTS/squat search indexes built when?

Patrick Nagel patrick.nagel at star-group.net
Sat Jul 26 09:45:56 EEST 2008

Hi

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:00:05 +0100, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
>> I would be interested in that script, too - are you working on it?
>
> It appears that you can run IMAP commands by piping them into the imap
> process - look at some of Timo's previous posts for examples.

I'm aware of 'dovecot --exec-mail imap'.

> I should
> think it's a one line to type in the IMAP search command and have it
> execute?

But I don't know how to wait for / react to answers from the IMAP server
(after listing mailboxes, selecting the mailbox, etc.) in shell (bash)
script, which would be my preferred choice as scripting language. Is it
possible? How?

> (implementation left as an exercise for the reader...)

Obviously I wrote this mail because I wanted to save some time and effort -
something wrong with that? ;)

Did really nobody do this "exercise" before?

> To do it remotely, perl/ruby and most common scripting languages have an
> IMAP module which should work well (need to embed a password obviously)

Yes, I'm sure it would be easy with those - after reading all the module's
documentation, understanding all the caveats, implementing all the error
handling and so on.

So, again, if somebody came up with a solution already, please share, I'd
appreciate it.

Patrick.

P.S.: RoundCube Webmail is not a good (as in easy to use) client to read
and reply to mailing lists (yet).

--
STAR Software (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.            http://www.star-group.net/
Phone:    +86 (21) 3462 7688 x 826             Fax:   +86 (21) 3462 7779

PGP key:         https://stshacom1.star-china.net/keys/patrick_nagel.asc
Fingerprint:           E09A D65E 855F B334 E5C3 5386 EF23 20FC E883 A005